On this page
Do get in touch if you would like any of this information, or wish to apply, in another format.
Please do not include your CV as it will not be considered. Please put all relevant information on your application form.
Before you apply
Watershed's first value is Inclusive – we are people led. We listen to and engage with the broadest range of people. The information below lays out some of the steps we are taking to create a more inclusive recruitment process. Many of these steps are new to us, so feedback and questions are very welcome.
You may not have worked in a cultural organisation before, or in an organisation like Watershed. Please still consider applying as many other sectors offer transferable contexts.
If you are from a background that is underrepresented in the culture sector - for example you are from a community that experiences racism or you are a disabled person (as defined by the Equalities Act 2010), or you did not go to University or had free school meals as a child - and you would like support to articulate how your experience is transferable to this role, you can book time with us to discuss it. We will ensure the person you meet is not involved in the recruitment process. Please request this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (we will not ask you to disclose your background).
We believe our work will be stronger with greater diversity and welcome applications from those who bring balance to our team. Watershed welcomes the whole person to work, and we understand that each of us brings our experiences, our backgrounds and our own unique lens to what we do. Supporting our staff means they are not appointed to represent specific groups or organisations.
- Commis Chef
- £10.34 per hour
- Part time, 40 hours a week
- Responsible to
- Head Chef
- In the building. This post is not suitable for remote working.
Purpose of job
To be responsible for food preparation, stock and portion control and maintaining excellent standards of health and safety, food hygiene, and customer service. You will be part of a team working under supervision of senior chefs to help maximise the business potential of the Catering operation. Up to 40 hours per week.
- Prepare food for the Café/Bar and conference as required.
- Maintain kitchen areas and equipment to the highest standards of cleanliness and safety.
- Ensure food deliveries are handled and stored correctly.
- Work alongside all kitchen team members to ensure Company standards and good working relationships are maintained.
- Handover section and responsibilities of a shift to the next chef, observing hygiene standards.
- Close the kitchen area according to company specifications, when on late shift.
- Compliance with all hygiene and health and safety regulations concerning food and catering establishments.
- Actively support, encourage and have an awareness of general Watershed activities.
- Supervise the Kitchen Assistants and monitor progress of daily preparation and cleaning schedules.
- Any other duties that may be reasonably required.
Key performance indicators
- Food for Café/Bar and conferences prepared to a high standard.
- Kitchen areas are clean and safe at all times.
- Systems regarding quality, portion control and minimising wastage maintained.
- Food deliveries are handled appropriately in line with Company standards.
- Health & Safety/Food hygiene standards maintained at all times.
- Experience of food handling and preparation
- Knowledge of Health and Safety and Food Hygiene
- An understanding of portion control and stock rotation
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
First round interview / presentation (if relevant): -
Watershed will work with candidates to ensure their access needs are met during the interview process and will ensure access requirements are not a factor in decision making.
Working at Watershed
As well as becoming part of our welcoming team, we offer a number of benefits for Watershed employees.
Equal opportunities monitoring
We are striving to understand more about who applies to work with us. At the end of the application process we invite you to complete our anonymous equal opportunities monitoring form, which will not be shared with anyone involved in the recruitment process.
At full operation, Watershed is open seven days a week, including Bank Holidays (Christmas Day and Boxing Day are the only exceptions). Watershed is a public building, which operates a diverse range of cultural and commercial activities. The post holder will need to be comfortable working in this environment.
As a registered charity and social enterprise, Watershed has well-established brand values. We seek to apply our values in everything we do and ask staff, partners, suppliers and collaborators to do the same.
Our values are:
- Inclusive: We are people led. We listen to and engage with the broadest range of people.
- Open and Honest: We provide a culture and environment that is trusting, trusted and trustworthy.
- Make things Happen: We approach opportunity and challenge creatively, collaboratively and with a can do attitude.
- Entrepreneurial: We are inventive, try new ideas, experiment, learn and share.
- Celebratory: We celebrate culture, creativity and wonder.
Watershed is a Social Enterprise Mark holder. Social Enterprises are businesses whose products and services create both social and environmental benefits.
Closing Date: 17:00, Fri 8 July