BFI NETWORK, Encounters Film Festival, Bristol UNESCO City of Film and NFTS Cymru Wales are excited to launch this new six-month career development scheme.
Designed to elevate South West-based producers and directors who have a strong track record in screen-based content and are looking to make the challenging next step into long-form projects, such as their first narrative feature.
What is Shorts2Features?
Up to five directors and five producers will join us on this development scheme, running from late Sep to Mar 2023, and we’re looking for the boldest, brightest and diverse talents the region has to offer. Successful applicants will benefit from training modules, one-to-ones, mentoring, networking opportunities, free tickets and development bursaries.
Who can apply for Shorts2Features?
Eligible applicants must:
- Be permanently living at an address in the South West.
- Be over the age of 18.
- Not be in full-time education.
- Be a director and/or producer of short fiction films or narrative-driven XR/immersive projects.
- Not have written, produced or directed a feature film that has received UK distribution (this includes via online platforms).
- Be committed to improving diversity both in front of and behind the camera.
- Have produced or directed a significant body of work and be looking to make the step to their first feature or long-form commission. By ‘significant body of work’ we mean a creative track record of multiple works in short film or narrative-driven XR projects that have garnered industry recognition by way of funding or commissions, awards and festival selection, critical praise or a substantial online audience.
- OR Previously received BFI NETWORK funding (in the south west or elsewhere in UK)
- OR Taken part in a BFI NETWORK talent development lab or skills programme (in the south west or elsewhere in UK)
We want to ensure that all time taken by producers and directors on their applications is time well spent, so please only make an application if you have a significant body of work behind you, consisting of multiple pieces. This body of work will need to demonstrate that you are established as a filmmaker and ready to move beyond short-form work into feature film or other long-form media.
Apply before 12:00 Fri 2 Sept here.
Closing Date: Fri 2 September, 12:00