Pervasive Media Studio 10th Birthday
Studio Birthday Celebration: Tours, Drop-ins and Workshops
Join us for an afternoon packed full of guided tours, playful workshops, games and events run by Studio residents, as we celebrate the Pervasive Media Studio’s tenth birthday
There will be plenty for everyone to see and do throughout the afternoon and it's all FREE. Here's an idea of what to expect... (more to be confirmed closer to the date!)
Informal tours of the Studio will be running every 15 minutes – sign up on the day and join us to find out a bit more about what happens in the Studio and meet some of the Studio residents. Tours will last approximately for 20mins. The last tour will be at 16:00.
- Sign up on the day for one of the Studio tours.
- The 15:00 Studio Tour will feature BSL interpretation and we will have BSL interpreters in the Studio between 14:00 and 16:00.
Join us for workshops, drop-in sessions, games and events or just pop in to say hello and hang out...
Play Korean Lazer Ball - a lazer arena sport from the future! Like a scene from a sci-fi movie, it pits two teams of laser gladiators against one another as they attempt to shine, bounce and dodge their way to the top of the league. Created by Simon Johnson and first played at the IGFEST games festival in 2008, it's a long-running Studio favourite.
- Drop in to play Korean Lazer Ball between 12:00 - 12:45 and between 15:00 - 16:00. Recommended for ages 12+.
Get rid of your emotional baggage in Harmeet Chagger-Khan’s installation State Bank of Liberty. Meet the Bank Teller and shrug it off: guilt, regret, anxiety, insecurity, shame, fear; it’s all welcome here. The Bank will be open for one afternoon only to collect your deposits in this lighthearted exchange.
- Deposit at the State Bank of Liberty from 12:00 til 15:45. It’s a one on one experience and it will culminate at 16:00 when we’ll all head to the Waterfront with Harmeet to watch all the deposits float away on the stock exchange of the universe…
Join Lily Green for Mini Think: In/visibility and the Internet to play some games and share your opinions about whether social media helps to make our voices heard... or whether they drown them in a sea of unheard echoes.
- Mini Think: In/visibility and the Internet will start at 13:00 and last for 45 minutes.
Make your own sparkly LED accessory at a special edition of e-Stitches, a meet up for anyone interested in interactive textiles, soft circuits and wearable technologies. Becca Rose and Annie Lywood will be on hand to help thread needles and debug loose connections while you spend an hour or so making your own hat, mask, necklace or party decorations.
- Drop in to e-Stitches anytime between 12:00 - 16:30
Sit down, try a tasty morsel, and compose a symphony with your fellow diners at Choral Cuisine by Sabrina Shirazi and Wilf Petherbridge. With support from Creative Technologists Luke Saxton and Joseph Horton, experience a sonorous Saturday snack which combines tableware and technology. The distinctive way you enjoy your food will be translated into a symphony of sound, whether you are a speedy scoffer or dainty nibbler, every participant will bring their own unique musical offering to the table.
- Drop in to Choral Cuisine anytime between: 12:00 - 14:00 (The snack will be vegan and gluten and lactose free)
Join Duncan Speakman for the Bristol premiere of his performance Conversation #7, a collaboration with Tineke De Meyer that uses music, text, sound and the audience to create a playful experience. Be prepared to read, listen, and stare (please note there will be moments of total darkness)
- Conversation #7 will start at 13:30 in Waterside 3 and last for 15 minutes.
Make your own Children’s Book with Jenny Grinsted at this relaxed, family-friendly workshop where you will use your own family photos and creativity to produce a personalised board book. Jenny makes illustrated books of all sorts for children ages 0-5 and is exploring different types of interactive storytelling. You can bring along digital photos or take some photos on the day which can be printed out during the workshop.
- Drop in to Make Your Own Children's Book anytime between: 14:00 - 14:45
Tom McDonagh will lead Polygons in Motion, a workshop where you can explore the meeting place of geometry, chemistry and robotics. If you connected four rods to make a square, how would that polygon like to move? Here you will use modular robotic components to make simple robots and discover their distinct movements.
- The Polygons in Motion workshop will run from 15:00 - 16:30, participants will need to be there from the start. Recommended for those aged 18+, no experience necessary!
Sign up for an audio adventure in the streets of Bristol with Echoscape by Splash & Ripple. If imagination is a time machine who exactly imagined you in the past? Join a group leaving from the Studio every hour and head off to Brandon Hill for an immersive audio adventure through time, bringing binaural sounds of the past (recorded in a way that is beautifully intimate and clear) to life in the present.
- Sign up on the day for Echoscapes at 12:30, 13:30, 14:30 or 15:30. The whole experience should last around 70minutes.
Pour over anonymous love letters in Love Letters by Yiota Demetriou, an installation of over 350 letters collected from all over the world over the past five years. Contribute your own to the collection - what will you write? A love letter to a friend, a place, a person you left behind? Or maybe even a love letter to the Studio itself? Come to read, write and maybe fall a little bit in love.
- Drop in to read and write Love Letters any time between 12:00 and 16:30.
Come and play with MekaMon, multifunctional, connected battlebots with augmented reality capabilities created by Silas Adekunle from Reach Robotics. Join us to sharpen your skills in single player mode and fight aliens, play arcade games or engage in an ultimate grudge match (challenge the robot belonging to our sister studio, Bristol VR Lab!)
- Drop in to play MekaMon anytime between 12:00 - 16:30. Recommended for ages 7+.
Build beautiful towers and create amazing worlds in Beasts of Balance, a brilliant physical-digital-connected-party-stacking-game developed by Alex Fleetwood and Sensible Object. Suitable for all the family, we’ll be stacking animals and making worlds all afternoon - and we need your help to test out a brand new battle mode, which is unavailable in the shops!
- Drop in to play Beasts of Balance anytime between 12:00 - 16:30. Recommended for ages 7+.