Join the Studio
You can apply to join the Studio at any time.
Our community is made richer because it is made up of many different types of people, with different skills, interests and access needs. We want to hear from you in a way that most suits you, and we understand forms are not everybody’s cup of tea - if you would like to join us, but would rather meet in person or apply in a different format, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW: On Tuesday 4 September, 2018 we will be holding an Open interview day, designed to cut out the form filling process altogether. You can book a 45 min slot to meet with members of the Studio's exec team to tell, or better yet, show us why you are interested in joining our community of residents.
This opportunity may be a good fit for you if the process of filling in forms is challenging for whatever reason, or if sharing your ideas and your practice is better done in person. You might want to bring your portfolio, an object you have made or something that inspires you, or demo an experience you have been working on. Or perhaps you find that you are better able to express yourself and your ideas when face to face with a real person.
We are testing this new 'open interview' format as a way to make the process of application more inclusive and accessible. We ask that if you are confident and comfortable filling in forms, that you do so through our standard Expression if Interest form, ensuring that the limited slots for Open Interviews are available to those who will find them most valuable.
Find more information, and book a slot here.
If you are interested in becoming part of this vibrant network of artists, creative companies, technologists and researchers, simply let us know what your ideas are and why you think you should be based here with us using the Expression of Interest webform on the left.
“suddenly I was in this critically supportive and collaborative environment full of people developing everything from citizen space travel to new forms of documentary story-telling. I moved my company to Bristol two years later, and we haven’t looked back since.”
- You have a specific idea, project, company or area of research that you would like to develop within the collaborative environment of the Pervasive Media Studio.
- Your idea will potentially have commercial or cultural value (or a mixture of both), combines creativity and technology, and goes beyond that which already exists or has been done before.
- You can see the benefit of exploring your ideas within an interdisciplinary community of residents, and can identify the added value that you and your work might bring to this ever-changing community.
- You are open and curious about your field and prepared to be generous with your own ideas, as well as seeking the expertise and critical engagement of others within the network.
- You are unlikely to have any answers yet about where your project might go, but you will have some degree of understanding and expertise in your given field and can express why you are the right person/people to explore this idea.
- We especially welcome applications from from BAME backgrounds, and Deaf or disabled practitioners.
- Our residents come from a wide variety of backgrounds and work across a range of disciplines. Take a look at the themes at the bottom of this page to get a sense of some of our our current themes, however keep in mind that we value difference of opinion, and welcome ideas from unexpected places, so do pitch us your big ideas even if they fall outside of our current areas of interest.
"Being a part of the studio has been a fantastic experience for me so far, not only for my business as a start-up but also as an individual. There are always relevant networking opportunities in a space with so many different talents and therefore, new and exciting projects to get involved in."
All applications are reviewed by the Studio executive group drawn from Watershed, University of Bristol and the University of the West of England.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to join?
No-one pays to be here. Keeping money at the margins allows us to welcome people with brilliant, risky and ambitious ideas from all backgrounds and at all stages in their careers.
Are there ever funded residencies?
We do run several funded residency programmes each year, and regularly produce and signpost other opportunities that have a bursary or funded element involved. These will always be posted in our Opportunities section. Sign up to our monthly newsletter to make sure you don't miss out.
Do I need to apply with a specific idea or project?
We are interested in working with brilliant people with good ideas. It is totally fine, if not preferable in fact, to join us at a moment when you do not have all of the answers about what it is you want to do. You may not know yet what the market/audience might be for your idea, or whether it is going to work at all. However, please keep in mind that we are an active, practice-based research community. We encourage testing of ideas early and iterating, so it does help to have an idea of what you would specifically like to explore with us, including some consideration of what you would do in your first days and weeks beyond soaking up the atmosphere.
Having a specific project, company plan, research question or idea will help you to get traction with your work within the Studio community. It will help us to understand how you might contribute to the mix of skills and interests here, and it will make it easier for us introduce you to people and ideas that might help you as you develop your work.
If this isn't the right fit for me, are there other places I might look?
Bristol and the surrounding area has a number of fantastic co-working, studio and incubator spaces. Here are just a few that might be suitable for you:
Engine Shed and The Bristol SETsquared Centre
Bristol Games Hub
Spike Island artist's studios and Spike Design
Jamaica Street Artists
Bath Road Studios
Knowle West Media Centre
The Guild: Coworking Bath