No Bindings. The name came from the idea that my books would be made without glue, staples, or string holding the pages in place. That quickly went out the window but the name stuck and instead represents a spirit of saying yes, taking risks and thinking about what audio and community helps books achieve beyond the bounds of their pages.
To date, as director and lead artist of No Bindings, Lily has led various projects that involve the production of multimedia literature. Works include:
- RadioBook Rwanda (Oct 17 - present), a new multimedia imprint showcasing new writing and visual art talent from Rwandan and East African artists
- Here We Grow (Sep 17 - Sep 18), a multimedia literary project about growing older in Bristol
- Wyldwood (Nov 16 - Jun 17), a multimedia collection of poetry, memories and visual art created by integenerational arts group, ChatBack.
Lily has begun to offer mentoring and guidance to emerging artists:
- Yasmin Qureshi with Red Telephone. Yasmin is looking at how to address trauma through subconscious objects and multimedia zines.
- Will Taylor with Two Tone. Will is looking to set up a podcast, zine series and online residency programme to encourage dialogue amongst and increase opportunities for the next generation of visual artists.
Lily is on the Steering Group for #WhoseCulture, a creative data project aimed at recording the cultural engagement of young people of colour in Bristol to change the way the arts work.
Lily has done various talks:
- Speaker, Bristol and Bath Small Publishers Fair, Nov 18
- Guest Lecturer, University of the West of England for the Media and Journalism course, Oct 18
- Chair, Hurst Street Press ANON Vol.1 Bristol Launch, Nov 17
- Speaker, Panel discussion: Community, Bristol Comic and Zine Fair, Oct 17
- Speaker, Roundtable discussion: Publishing and producing dissent, Literature and the Humanities in an Age of Autocracy, Mar 17
- Speaker, LAND/CHANGE Micro Festival, Feb 17
- Guest, gal-dem radio, Aug 16
Lily moved to Bristol in 2015. She learnt printmaking and basic book binding at Spike Print Studio before embarking on a trial+error journey to create No Bindings. Before going full time with No Bindings, Lily was the senior developer for The Dare to Write Library workshop format and training programme. Lily studied Portuguese and Spanish at the University of Oxford. Communication, medieval spanish and literatura de cordel continue to be big influences in her work. She has lived in Recife, Brazil and Madrid, Spain and is always looking for opportunities to falar and hablar.
At every turn, Lily is looking to discover and champion how intersectional learning can innovate not just No Bindings, but publishing, media, the arts and society.