This is a fantastic opportunity to develop an idea at the intersection of art and technology, that responds to the theme of 'Other Minds'. A chance to share ideas, meet incredible people, experiment, make and think.
There are two residencies available. Each comes with a structured programme, work space at the Pervasive Media Studio, a network of peers, plus financial, technical and critical support. This is a remarkable opportunity for creative practitioners to have time, resources and freedom to get an idea off the ground.
At least 11 flexible days between February and March 2024
Pervasive Media Studio
Our theme for this year is "Other Minds". We're looking for work that explores intelligences different to our own: animals, machines, or something stranger. We want to ask questions like these: What does it mean to live in a world filled with different forms of thought? How can we create an idea of personhood for computer networks, beehives, or forests, while still maintaining our essential humanity? And how can we use ideas like "artificial intelligence" to expand our understanding of the world, rather than creating new ways to exploit it?
These are the kinds of questions we're thinking about, but we hope you'll bring your own.
Read this article to learn more about how we are supporting people to think differently about artificial intelligence.
This opportunity is open to creative practitioners of any discipline, career stage and background. Applicants may be well versed in using technology, have tinkered, or have some great ideas but need help with technical possibilities. Any approach is fine.
You can apply as individuals or groups (we’re unable to offer additional fees for group applications).
To be eligible you must meet the following criteria:
- You reside in the UK
- You are aged 18 or over
- You are not an undergraduate student or student in full time education
- You have an idea that:
- Is at an early stage of development
- Responds to our theme of Other Minds
- Would benefit from being developed within the Pervasive Media Studio
- Blends art and creative technology
(‘art’ means any artistic discipline; ‘creative technology’ means things like robotics, mobile, sensor-based, interactive screen, tangible and/or immersive technologies)
Please note this programme does not support:
- Film production, for support in this area please head over to BFI Film Hub or BFI Film Academy
- Projection, unless it uses mapping or interactivity
- Image or sound works, unless part of an idea for an immersive, location-based, tangible or interactive project.
- Time in residence at Watershed’s Pervasive Media Studio
- A bursary of £2750 (tax inclusive) plus £500 for materials
- A travel bursary to support temporary relocation to Bristol
- The opportunity to focus intensively on the development of an idea
- Tailored support to help you get the most out of your time with us
- A structured process featuring research blogs, regular catch ups, discussions and sharing events
- A peer community of potential collaborators for current and future projects
- We aim to be as inclusive as possible and work to accommodate all access requirements. We will openly discuss and tailor how we do things throughout, to support you as best we can.
We ask for
- Enthusiasm and ambition to grow and develop your practice.
- An open, curious, experimental approach
- Dedicated research time at the Pervasive Media Studio
- Regular online documentation of progress and ideas
- Participation in critiques, discussions and meetings
- Informal conversations with members of the Studio community
- A willingness to contribute to the Studio community
- A sharing of ideas towards the end of the residency
- Some reflection and feedback on your time with us
- 3 October: Open for Expressions of Interest.
- 1 November, 10:00: Deadline for Expressions of Interest, 10am GMT.
- 3 November: Applicants notified of result. Twelve invited to Stage Two.
- 7, 8, 9 November: Application surgeries.
- 30 November: Deadline for proposals, 10am GMT.
- 4 December or 7 December: Zoom interviews.
- 12 December: Applicants notified of outcome.
- February – March 2024: Residency period.
We will use random selection to pick twelve Expressions of Interest to take forward to Stage Two.
Watershed first used random selection in 2022. At that time we recorded a talk and published two articles to share thoughts and learning. In 2023 we wrote a more detailed guide. This is not compulsory reading. But if you are curious and want to know more, here are some links for reference:
- Talk: Random Selection as a Tool for Change
- Article: Making our Residencies Differently
- Article: Reflections on Random Selection (This article includes an ‘Unpaid Labour Calculator’)
- Guide: Random Selection: A How-to Guide
How to apply
If you are interested in applying, please:
- Complete an Expression of Interest form: https://wshd.to/eoiwinterresidencies2023
(PDF preview of Expression of Interest form available here)
- Complete an anonymous inclusion survey (this is not part of the application process): https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3HWFPSS
Deadline for submissions: Wednesday 1st November 2023, 10am GMT
We realise that forms don’t suit everyone, so if you would like discuss a different way to apply, please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will randomly select 12 expressions of interest. If you are selected you will be asked to:
- Attend a 30 minute application surgery.
Online or in person at Pervasive Media Studio (travel bursaries available)
- Submit a written or recorded proposal outlining your idea.
We will provide guidance
- Attend an online interview.
We will send interview questions in advance.
We will provide a £200 stipend (inc. tax) to those who complete both application stages.
If you have access requirements there will be opportunity to discuss this at the time.
We recognise the creative industries are majority white, cisgender and non-disabled. We believe our work will be stronger with greater diversity and welcome applications from those who bring difference.
If you have any questions about the residencies or application process, please message us at email@example.com