Media maker, author and digital cultures researcher
Marcus uses his time at the studio to explore questions around attention and engagement with media, and specifically the political and cultural context in which people pay attention to media and learn about the world. In particular, his research interests are:
- Disinformation and non-information uses for digital media, including hoaxes, "fake news" and hedonic media consumption
- The role of psychology, emotion and affect in media attention and engagement
- The political and systemic conditions that form the backdrop to the information ecosystem
Marcus also carries out technical research on the use of web-based digital storytelling techniques to create more appealing and accessible factual media, and is using some of his time at the studio to further develop 'Smartest', a platform of his creation to make it more deployable for new users to do the same.
Besides being a resident of the Pervasive Media Studio, Marcus Gilroy-Ware is:
- Author, Filling The Void, Repeater Books (2017)
- Senior lecturer, School of Film & Journalism, University of the West of England
- Director, VSC Creative - digital storytelling, creative technology and full-stack web development agency
- Founder, Smartest (open-source web content management platform)
- A bass guitarist oriented around jazz and Contemporary Improvised Music idioms
He also hopes to research new means to publish electronic books, and collaborate with other residents to explore alternative input devices for musical performance.