Vanessa Bellaar Spruijt
Vanessa Bellaar Spruijt is a studio producer and working on research trials exploring the potential of next generation wireless connectivity (5G) with a focus on creative experience.
She is a founding member of the Pervasive Media Studio after moving from HP Lab's Pervasive Computing Lab and has worked ever since as a freelance creative producer. Her previous projects were typically complex collaborations between multiple partners ranging from artists, to technologists and across public sector and industry.
She is in her third year of studying psychoanalyis and will return to this part-time when her son is a little older.
Creative producing, project management, idea shaping, art direction, strategy for creative (not necessarily commercial) ventures, improvisation, bridging different work cultures, making things happen, steering artists in their vision, putting the right people together at the right time.
- Producer of the Layered Realities, 5G showcase in March 2018 which was the world's first public urban testbed exploring the potential of next generation wireless connectivity (5G) with a focus on creative experience. Read a summary and reflection it here.
Producer of Squidsoup's Submergence: a large-scale installation resembling an ocean of light. 6000 visitors experienced it during the 1 month installation in September 2013.
- Programme coordinator for 'Animating the Zone' a series of artistic Bristol Temple Quarter commissions coordinated by Watershed, Knowle West Media Centre and MAYK. Designed to pop up, excite and re-invent perceptions and potentials of the area.
- Producer of U-Soap (Rik Lander) Arts Council England funded production 'The Memory Dealer', which brings together a mobile app with theatre. Reviews and show photos of the sell out show in Mayfest 2013. Won Royal Television Society award for best digital innovation.
- Mapping & advising arts organisations in Bristol that benefit from discretionary rates relief (voluntary).
- Project Manager for the 'Open Cities' project. The 'Open Cities' project was part of the 2012 capital of culture in Portugal. The project was led by Guimarães in partnership with Watershed and explored the concept of 'Openness' in relation to city development. Watershed curated a series of live and digital interventions, ranging from James Bridle's guerilla aerial balloon mapping to the theatre production Give me back my broken night. For more information about the entire programme see the Open City Project .
- Advising various projects from ArtSpaceLifeSpace on communications strategies (voluntary)
- (P/T) Project Manager on a collaborative TSB project: Unlocking Markets for Content Delivery at Calvium Ltd, with Bristol Old Vic, Mshed, Watershed and The Tower of London. 18 months project (Nov 2010 - June 2011)
- Concept creator and producer of large audio-visual installation at a National Trust property (Lacock Abbey, where Harry Potter was filmed) with studio resident Tom Bennett, live in July 2011.
- Producer & Casting Director for the successul sell-out ' 2.8 (hours) later' (headline game for igfest) May 2011.
- Experience Design & implementation with Helen Bentley for National Trust commission at the London Outdoor Show at the Excel exhibition centre in January 2011
- Casting Director & co-producer for the igfest '10 headline game '2.8 hours (later)'. Also costumes, props. September 2010
- Delivery of mscapeFest, an annual 2 day conference for locative, mobile and pervasive media enthusiasts. (Tilburg, Nov '09). See report of the event.
- Project Manager for the Interesting Games Festival (igfest). A three day street game festival in Bristol. Also Casting Director for the game 'La Noche de los Muertos' (Sept '09).
- User Experience Co-ordinator on 'The Extended Theatre Experience': a collaboration with Watershed, HP Labs and the Bristol Old Vic. The Extended Theatre Experience was an experiment exploring how technology can extend and ultimately enhance a live performance experience, like theatre or a music concert. It won a Media Innovation award.
- Project co-ordinator on 'Last Will': a collaboration with Hide & Seek, HP Labs, Punchdrunk and Seeper. Last Will was the creation of a multiplayer hybrid virtual and real world environment. Watch the trailer here.