Here at Watershed we want to be as welcoming, inclusive and accessible as we can for everyone: for all of our customers, audiences, staff and visitors.
Our relaxed screenings are designed to benefit our customers with additional needs (such as people living with dementia, autism, or other neuro-diverse people and their personal assistants, friends and family) or anyone who wants to enjoy a film in a more relaxed environment. Everyone is welcome.
Here's what you can expect at a Relaxed Screening:
- The cinema doors will open 20 minutes before the screening start time
- We won't show any trailers or adverts and the film will start promptly at its advertised start time
- The lights will be up a little
- The sound will be down a little
- You are welcome to move around the cinema, to talk and make noise, and to exit and enter the cinema as you please
- There will be lots of space in the cinema so you can spread out or lie down if you choose. It is very informal and yoga mats and beanbags will be available
- We will screen films with Descriptive Subtitles whenever they are available
- We will provide a separate quiet space where you can chill out if you need to
- Our staff will be around to help with whatever you need
This Relaxed Screening film is The Reason I Jump, an immersive cinematic exploration of neurodiversity through the experiences of nonspeaking autistic people from around the world, based on the bestselling book by Naoki Higashida.
In order to assist with the accessibility and enjoyment of relaxed screenings of this title for our audiences, the film will be accompanied by a special subtitle stream which will include both subtitling of dialogue as well as warnings of potentially challenging or difficult moments within the film itself. These warnings will focus on moments that could be challenging from a visual, aural, and emotional perspective and will be accompanied by guidance text and symbols alerting viewers to the imminent approach of any such moments.
We really want to hear your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 0117 927 5100 or speak to us in person to let us know what you think and if there's anything we can improve.
Tickets: £8.50 full / £5.00 concessions and under 24s, and personal assistants go free. Our building is fully accessible – visit our Access Page for all the details. We also have a Visual Story you can download to help you to become familiar with the new surroundings. Sign up to our Accessible Mailing list for regular updates about forthcoming accessible screenings and events.